So you want to get your business signed up - it couldn't be much easier!
If you want to get signed up right now and read all the detail in a bit - click here. Otherwise; read on...
How to accept B£
There are two ways you can accept Brixton Pounds if you are a business or small trader – paper B£ and/or ‘pay-by-text‘ (B£e).
- If you want to use paper B£ you can do so straight away (although contact us so we can list you on our website and give you some promotional materials). The idea is to keep the money in Brixton and try to spend any B£ you receive (although you can exchange back to sterling at no cost, directly with us or at our Issuing Point Cheques For Cash).
- If you would like to use pay-by-text, get in touch with us and we will set up an account for you. Setting up an account is free - all you need is a mobile phone. The only associated cost is a 1.5% transaction fee on all transactions (this is lower than most credit and debit cards).
How to spend B£
As a Brixton Pound business you can easily pay your business rates to Lambeth Council using electronic Brixton Pounds (B£e). This will give you an additional way to spend your B£e balance and support your local community.
Step One: Read and sign this agreement with a B£ representative: B£ – Business Rates Agreement
Step Two: Email us the following information:
- Your account number
- The amount you want to pay
- The period you want to pay for
And then just leave the rest to us!
As a Brixton Pound business you can easily pay your BID levy using electronic Brixton Pounds (B£e). This will give you an additional way to spend your B£e balance and support your local community.
Simply email us the following information:
- Your BID reference number
- The amount you want to pay
And then just leave the rest to us! If you have enough balance in your account, they payment will be made within 3 working days.
Important: If you currently have a Direct Debit set up for rates, you need to let us know at least 5 days before the direct debit is due to be paid so it can be stopped and duplicate payment is not made.
Buy stock and supplies from other B£ businesses
Using our online directory and payment platform, it's incredibly simple to search for local businesses and pay them instantly using B£s. Develop and strenghten relationships within the local economy by doing your business in B£s!
If you need additional information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The boring bits
Paper Brixton Pound are vouchers which can be bought for their equivalent face value in Sterling. Paper Brixton Pound are not exchangeable back to sterling, however registered business members may redeem any Brixton Pound they receive by contacting the Brixton Pound office or visiting one of our exchange points.
Businesses and traders who are members of the Brixton Pound scheme accept the paper Brixton Pound at their discretion. Paper Brixton Pound are NOT legal tender and do not constitute a promise to pay the bearer on demand.
Any goods or services traded for Brixton Pound will attract income/corporation tax and VAT just as if they were traded for sterling cash or other recognised payment methods. The Brixton Pound does not exempt businesses or traders from their responsibilities regarding taxation.
The B£e scheme (B£ E-currency or “Pay-by-text”) is exempt from the 2011 small e-money provider regulations as it operates within a delimited area (“Brixton”). The B£e scheme does not constitute deposit-taking, and members may not exchange their B£e back to sterling.
Businesses who are members of the B£e scheme may redeem any B£e credit which they receive free of charge.